Top Ten Ways to Stay Cool During the Summer
Through the eyes of Joshua…
Summer is here and you can expect the temperature to rise and the humidity to settle in. Here are a few tips to stay cool without relying too much on electricity:
- Drink plenty of water: Our body is composed of about 60% water. We sweat more when the temperature is hot - especially if you’re working or exercising in the heat. Drinking water helps replenish the fluids lost by excessive sweating.
- Keep still and quiet: It is important to maintain a calm and relaxed posture. Save the exercising and kinetic activities for the evening when the sun goes down and the air becomes cooler.
- Stay in the shade: You can read a book, sit down, or take a nap. When you move around, it makes your body temperature rise.
- Open the windows to let in a breeze: This allows the air inside to circulate and cool down. If insects are a problem, use screens to keep them out.
- Go swimming: Going swimming on a hot day is a great way to cool off. Head over to your nearest public swimming pool for a cool splash.
- Have a cold shower or bath: A cold shower or bath will instantly cool you off. You can also wrap damp towels around your body to help bring your temperature down.
- Use fans: Fans keep the air circulating and don't use as much energy as air conditioners. You can also produce a mini air-conditioning effect by placing a wet face cloth over the outer cage of the fan.
- Chew on ice cubes: It’s just like drinking water, only colder!
- Use a bag of ice: Place the bag on your forehead for approximately 30 minutes.
- Water spray bottle: If you go outside frequently, spray yourself with cold water from a spray bottle. It helps you stay cool and it feels good.