Through the eyes of Paula...
As summer rolls around, people all over the city can engage in the fun activity of treating themselves and their families to candy. Although one can get candy year round, the fun of the process can be amplified in the summer because other activities are available – things like outdoor activities, going to the beach, and playing at the park. When shopping for candy, going one step further for some high quality, unique candy can make for a highly enjoyable day. Here are five lovely candy stores in Toronto.
1. Sweet Thrills: 399 Roncesvalles Avenue. This candy store is a great one to take kids to (as all candy stores are), because it has board games by the entrance, a wall of Jelly Bellys, balloons, and colourful candies everywhere. The store also has a section dedicated to British imported candy, and will put together candy grams and balloon bunches for special occasions.
2. Sugar Mountain: 2291 Yonge Street. This is another bulk candy store where one can stock up on candies of all kinds. This store has an impressive collection of Jelly Bellys, local and imported candies, and novelty items.
3. The Nutty Chocolatier: 2179 Queen Street East. Although known for chocolate, this store also offers lots of hard candies and novelties, jars of specialty licorice, and a selection of no-sugar-added sweets. The store also boasts a number of imported treats, including British saltwater taffy, Tayto Irish crisps, and Walkers Scottish shortbread.
4. The Candy Bar: 849 College Street. With a wide selection of chocolate, imported sweets, and drinks, this store has become a place for anyone wanting to indulge in life’s little pleasures. The store’s owner, Paola Giavedoni, wanted to share her passion for chocolate and international candy, and to offer customers an inexpensive escape.
5. Bulk Mine: 655 Yonge Street. In addition to an extensive selection of sweets, this store also has other bulk items like spices and nuts. It has chewy candies, a small collection of British candies, and retro sweets like candy buttons and Big League Chew.